According to a recent Marist Institute poll in New York, "whatever" tops the list of most annoying words in the English language. While I can see that it's very annoying, especially when your boyfriend/girlfriend uses it when you are fighting with him/her, it would definitely not top my list. I can't stand the "like" ers and the "you know" ers.
"Like, you know, I like had to go to the store and, you know, buy some like cereal and milk and like, you know, I forgot my money at home."
Those people I want to punch in the face. Do they not listen to themselves speak? Obviously not. When this happens in a class, usually it is a student doing this; I end up counting how many times they say those annoying words versus actually listening to what they are saying.
And other annoying sayings, like "it is what it is" and "at the end of the day," really don't bother me that much. It's only when a person beats the phrase to death do I get really irritated with them and the saying. It's kind of like in Office Space where the main character hates everyone and there is that red-headed woman who says "Looks like somebody has got the case of the Mondays!" That would make me want to scream because it's ridiculous and unnecessary.
Take a look at the main article http://maristpoll.marist.edu/107-whatever-takes-top-honors-as-most-annoying/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment